YOUTH MENTAL HEALTH: GREAT CANADIAN (& ONTARIO) RESOURCES
- A quick reference source of useful classroom strategies to help elementary and secondary school teachers and administrators understand and assist students with mood, behaviour or thinking disorders.
- Site specifically for teachers that provides information about recognizing when there’s a problem, ways to help, examples of effective accommodations and other links.
- Providers of child and youth mental health treatment services throughout Ontario. Can search for local services.
- Great site that includes lots of background information on different mental and behavioral health issues as well as substance abuse issues.
- Resource for self-abuse prevention, support, education, and awareness.
- Toll-free, 24-hour, bilingual and anonymous phone counselling, referral and Internet service for children and youth.
- Info for youth, friends of youth and adults (reasons, risk factors, warning signs, providing support).
24 hour Crisis line (for children, youth, and their families): 613-260-2360
- List drop-in services for youth (including GLBTTQ), intake services, youth justice links.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES
- Ontario Physical and Health education Association, providing many teaching resource, workshops, newsletters, conferences, and links. This site offers resources galore, especially the grade specific Curriculum Support Document. Step by step lesson plans.
- Physical and Health education (PHE) Canada (formerly the Canadian Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance) – Activity ideas, quality school health, conferences, and many more resources!
- A website that gives resources and academic articles related to teaching tactical games.
- Canadian Intramural Recreation Association Ontario – This site offers resources which can be incorporated into DPA, H & PE and Intramural activities.
- Up to date explanations by Canada’s leading experts; separate sites for teens, parents, teachers, healthcare professionals, and adults. Lots of good lesson plan ideas for sexual health education!
- Leading publisher of PE related resources (Books, videos, CD’s, posters, Fitness Kits, etc.).
- Free program for teachers called “Lungs are for Life” – step by step curriculum based lesson plans for tobacco education (grades 4-10).
- Active Living Alliance; for students with disabilities. Ideas for inclusion.
- A website that traces the origin of physical literacy
- US site dedicated to PE teachers; lesson ideas, assessment strategies, resources, etc.
- Ottawa local youth mental health promotion program run by youth within the community.
RESOURCES FOR TEACHING NUTRITION
MISCELLANEOUS EDUCATOR RESOURCES
- How Kids Can Talk to Parents About Depression
- Addiction and Depression: Treating Co-Occurring Disorders
- A Navigation Guide to Self-Discovery During Your Addiction Recovery Journey
- Recognizing and Treating Depression During Pregnancy
- Marriage and Mental Health: How to Cope When Your Spouse Has Been Diagnosed with Schizophrenia
- 7 Tips for Creating a Healthy and Positive Work Environment
- A Healthy Home is a Happy Home: How to Optimize Your Home for Healthy, Stress-free Living
RESOURCES FROM PAST WORKSHOPS
Inside the Mind: Mental Health in Schools